Thursday, January 7, 2010

11. V for Vendetta : the last presentation


"V for Vendetta" by brimfulofsasha licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic.


Today it was our last day of English 101. (Anyway that’s not the point now.=) What I want to talk about is the presentation that is made by Burak, Meltem and Yavuzalp. They presented us the movie called “V for Vendetta”.

When I watched this film 3 years ago, I was shocked somehow. The scenes made me confuse. It’s kind of a confusing film actually. If you don’t have general knowledge about the history or the utopias that were idealized by some philosophers and thinkers, then it may be a good idea to make a little research about it. Without the knowledge, watching the film would not lead you to a proper conclusion. Another thing that was discussed in the class after the presentation was why people liked it so much and adored the character V. For Emir, they never got the main point, they just find the character cool and that’s all. And I’ve begun to questioning and suddenly realize that we are sometimes not thinking the background at all. Maybe it is because we’re students and not used to think much because of our education system. It is sad, but also the truth. So what are we going to do with that? The answer is the university I suppose. Here’s the place we describe, discuss and extend our vision. (I intended to make comments about the presentation but we hit a world matter sorry :)

I realized that a lot of group suffers from the lack of proper time for preparing the presentations. For me, the slides were good prepared and it fits with the topic of the film, that black background I mean. But it’s a pity that the historical context was a little bit forgotten.

All in all it is a good experience what we do and I hope it would help to improve our English more in Eng 102. (if we’re going to do it I have no clue)

No comments:

Post a Comment